What is Fast User Switching? Do know about this windows feature? Or did you ever use it? Well, that sounds more like a dumb question, isn’t it? Why else would you be here if you haven’t used this feature? But what is this feature actually? Fast User Switching is a feature that is available on a Windows OS. This feature helps you in logging into a single computer without forcing the other user of the same computer to log out. This feature is available for Mac users as well.
But there are certain factors due to which one needs to disable this feature. Let’s not go into the details of those features. And since you are searching for ways to disable Fast User Switching on Windows, we are happy to help in this aspect. Down below we have provided a detailed list of all the ways that would help you to disable this feature. These procedures are quite easy to perform and all that you need to do is follow them accordingly. But be sure to follow them accordingly as a small mistake can create a huge problem for you. Check out the steps down below.
Steps To Disable Fast User Switching On Windows:
The steps have been provided below. Use these to disable this windows feature.
By Editing the Windows Registry:
(Warning: Windows registry is a powerful tool which can render your windows inoperable. It is recommended that you be extra careful while using this tool and also back up your files before using this.)
- First of all, you need to open the start menu and then type regedit in the search box.
- A single search result of the same name will be displayed on the list. Click on that and a new window will pop up.
- In the navigation located at the left-hand side of the window, you need to locate the System Follow the path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System to locate the folder.
- Now you need to create a new value in the same folder. To do that right click there and select New> DWORD(32-bit) Name this value “HideFastUserSiwtching.”
- After you are done creating that double click on that. Another new window will pop up and you need to enter 1 in the “value data” box.
- With that, you can close the value window and now you need to close sign out of the current user account and restart your system.
After the system restarts the User switching option will be gone. And that is how you need to disable fast user switching on windows using the registry. If you want to change the setting back to the way they were then all you need to do is change the value data back to 0 from 1.
Also read: How To Solve Taskbar Not Working Windows 10
By Using Registry Hacks:
Well, lots of people might not like poking around the registry but those people can download the registry hack. Click Here to download the hack. There would be two files in a zip file. All you need to do is double-click on one to disable the fast user switching and the other one will just reverse the process of the first one. All changes would be restored to defaults. These hacks are quite easy to use and are trustworthy too. So you don’t need to worry about them.
By Local Group Policy User:
This method might be a bit problematic for other windows users but will be quite easy for Windows 10 users. The same awareness like the “Windows Registry” should be followed here too. Local Group Policy User is a powerful tool too, so be extra careful.
- Click on the start menu and type msc on the search bar and hit enter.
- A file of the same name will appear in the list. Click on that and provide the permission needed.
- Fish out the Logon folder from the navigation on the left-hand side of the new window. You can follow Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Logon path to locate the folder.
- There you will come across a file named “Hide entry points for Fast User Switching”, double-click on that.
- A new window will pop up and in there select the Enabled Option and then click OK.
And that’s it. With this, you would have disabled the Fast User Switching on Windows 10, 8.1, 8 And 7.
The Fast User Switching is a great feature that can help you a lot. But the real reason is that anyone would be able to access the system with the help of this feature. And that is the primary reason due to which most users are disabling this feature. We would suggest that you give it a try before disabling it, who knows you might even like this feature. Hope this would help you out. If you have any more queries then comment below and do let us know.